Friday, January 12, 2007

Where I´m From


Tffany is doing a family history project for her American History class. She had to write a poem about where she is from and here it is:


Where I’m From

I am from everywhere and from nowhere
From south to north, east to west
From Texas to Michigan, Tennessee to Mexico
I am from change

I am from being proud of who I am
Being different, yet in many ways the same
Dealing with ignorance and intolerance
But, knowing, I have the best of both worlds

I am from funny accents
Southern and Mexican
Hearing them brings a smile to my face
making me feel at home
Wherever I am

I am from a loving family
Long conversations with my grandparents
Giving me strength and wisdom
I wish to one day be like them

I am from beautiful blue eyes
That I wish I had
Those eyes calming and comforting me
With their motherly gaze

I am from brotherly bonds
My older brother’s heart
Beating in unison with mine
And my younger brother’s face
Restoring my faith
Reminding me of the good things in life

I am from careful guidance
Of my father
Making me know my roots
But letting me test my wings
To fly one day on my own

I am from heartbreak
Wrongs and failures clouding my vision
But only this, really teaching me
Making success so much sweeter

I am from old friends
And from new friends
Living without them would be impossible
These bonds will last a lifetime


I am from red, white, and blue
And red, white, and green
Don’t ask me to choose
They are both in my heart

I am from here
And from there
I am myself
My journey has only just begun

4 comments:

peggy gray said...

Tiffany,
Beautiful connections to the various facets within your past and present life. Did you know that "I am" is one of the most powerful statements that we make to the universe? Part of the "I am" is identifying who we are. The other part of "I am" is who we choose to be. I am thrilled and in awe of the person you are becoming.

Much love,
peggy

US said...

What a wonderful poem!
Kathy in TX

Kristine said...

Amazing, so descriptive. Your dd is very talented!

Kristine/SHS

Kathy said...

Tiffany,
Fantastic poem! What a talented young poet you are. Such strong, yet introspective language you have used. I enjoyed it immensely. Keep writing!!!!

Kathy in PA